My twins are in the same Pre-K class at school. I love love love having them in the same class. We go back and forth on splitting them up for Kindergarten next year or not. I love that they jointly tell me stories of the happenings of the day, each one remembering their own special details. Another part I love is seeing their own interpretations of the same school projects. It's strange, but I'm able to see more of their individuality in light of their twin.
So one day last week I had to run back up to the school after drop-off to bring a certain child a coat that somehow missed the initial trip. I was able to peek in and watch for a bit without being noticed. Their teacher, Mrs. J. had all the kids gathered around her as she read a really simple learn-to-read paper book. They were working on learning to read left to right. Each page had one simple sentence. "Snow on the hill" was the first page. "Snow on the car." "Snow on the boy." Snow on the house." You get the idea.
That afternoon at home we opened our red folders to see what brilliant schoolwork had been accomplished. There was an assignment where each student made their own "Snow on the ___" art project. Each student was to cut out the individual words "Snow" "on" and "the", glue them on the paper in the correct reading order, and then write their own thing to complete the sentence, just like they had seen in the little book. And then last, create a picture illustrating their sentence.
So here's Harper's: Snow on the hill.
I love it. It's very logical, makes perfect sense, and its safe. Just like Harper. And it was the first scene in the book, which I know in her mind meant it was the best, so obviously she chose that. I love how she "filled the frame" of her paper and even blended the snow onto her dirt hill to show the snow was, in fact, actually on the hill. She's nothing if not accurate. This one loves the details, just like her mama.
And here's Hudson's: Snow on the....weasel!
I don't think I've ever heard Hudson even talk about a weasel. Which makes this that much more perfect. It's so out-of-the-box, random, creative, and funny. Just like Hudson. He proudly told me, "Mrs. J. said, 'Well I think that is a really good idea.'" I'm sure she did. I can actually hear her saying it in her sweet grandmother tone, while trying to stifle her giggles.
So there you have it: Snow on the hill and snow on the weasel. I love these two kiddos and the way they see the world. So differently and yet so perfectly.


I love this! Harper is such a girl and Hudson is such a boy :)
ReplyDeleteSo fun to see and hear about their different personalities. Hope to meet them one day.
ReplyDeleteHa ha this made me laugh! I think Allison and I would have been lame and both picked the same (safe and predictable) word :)
ReplyDeleteOh! I love this! I love to see their differences too and celebrate them! It's part of what makes being a parent so fun! They're both precious, and we need both of those kind of people to make the world (and our families) complete! Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteSo fun! When I was a teacher it was fun for me to have little boys in my class like Hudson! I often wonder if they are still funny, creative and thinking "out of the box". :) Harper sounds like a rule follower, she's my kind of girl too! How much fun they must be!!!
ReplyDeleteI love this! You are such a great mom to stop and appreciate those differences. They are precious!
ReplyDelete